12.08.2010

Thoughts on The Sing Off, Season 2, Ep 1.

I won't get into a lot of details, I'll try to make this as concise as I possibly can. So, bear with me.

Opening song (all groups): "I've Got the Music In Me"

Just like my dear, pella-friend, Sherry, I too applauded when I saw Jerry Lawson, former The Persuasions, who were/are the Godfathers of a cappella. Finding out that he was going to be in the show this season was enough for me to want to tune in. Didn't know what else to expect, until I finally saw the show.

First impressions: The Backbeats' (LA all-star group), lead alto, Joanna, impressed me right off the bat, with her power, and emotion. Men of Note, caught my attention, initially as well. And the high-schoolers, Eleventh Hour, were not too shabby, especially for a high school a cappella group.

My favourites:

Groove for Thought (Seattle, WA) - they sang "I Wish" by Mr. Stevie Wonder. Their arrangement ever so reminded me of m-pact's arrangement of this song. It was very, very similar, except for a few changes. Their harmonies were very tight, and clean. I second judge Shawn Stockman in saying that they reminded me a lot of Take 6, and, oddly enough, Vox One. I enjoyed their performance a lot.

The Whiffenpoofs (Yale University, New Haven, CT) - "Grace Kelly" was wayyy out of left field as far as song choice is concerned. But they worked it! It's one of my favourite Mika songs too, and the lead singer, like judge Nicole Scherzinger said, was sassy. Loved how judge Shawn Stockman gave them a bit of a ribbing about being the inventors (or founders) of a cappella. Haha! Go, Shawn!

Street Corner Symphony (Nashville, TN) - they're a bit rough around the edges, but I like them. They had a good sound, a little more polishing, but I thought they were good. Not great, but good. They sang "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears (Side note: it is my favourite Tears for Fears song, and also, Shawn's cousin, Anthony David, who did an awesome, funky, neo-soul-ish cover of Level 42's "Something About You", has done a cover of EWTRW for his upcoming album, which Shawn worked on as well. How do I know this? Shawn tweeted me about it. hah!). Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Street Corner Symphony. They have a good sound, not sure about the song choice, but I thought it fit the lead's voice. I thought he had a very pretty voice. I did notice that he couldn't reach the low end of the song, but I think it's mostly nerves getting the better of him. I'd like to see more of what they can do, though. "Soul Sister" by Train for next episode. We'll see.

The Backbeats (Los Angeles, CA) - LA all day, every day, baby! I immediately liked them because they were from LA and also Joanna, their lead, had already made a good first impression on me. And they had a Pinay, who can wail! "If I Were A Boy" was their song of choice, and they did a good job. At first, I thought, "too low" but Joanna hit those low notes fine. I forgive Shawn for saying he's a sucker for altos. He still needs to make it up to me for that that whole "rose" incident at the House of Blues, November 2009. Anyway, I digress. Haha! They were going to be my pick, until the next group came out...

Committed (Oakwood University, Hunstville, AL) - FLOORED. That was my reaction when this group opened their mouths. You thought Shawn's reaction was crazy? You should have seen my reaction, along with my cousin, Diane. We were going nuts, especially with the crazy mellismas and chords they were hitting! To me, if the competition was just a one-night thing, they would have won already. Hands down. They're young, they still need a bit of polishing, but man, are they good! There were moments of brilliance. And I agree completely with Shawn, Therry's voice was buttah. A big stick of buttah. I can't wait to see what else they can do. They gave a preview of their song for next episode, and they will be singing "Apologize" which is only my most favourite song by OneRepublic. I would love to sing with these guys. They definitely reminded me of Take 6, no doubt. And they come from the same university where most of Take 6 came from. They sang "This Love" by Maroon 5.

Sentimental favourite: Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town (Oakland, CA) - "Save the Last Dance". Love the story behind the song, courtesy of Ben Folds. I was emotional watching Jerry and these guys. All I could think of is, "that's right, they betta recognize"! I think Shawn kinda got emotional, too. Loved how he gave props to them, especially Jerry. OK, I'm getting emotional just typing this.

It was a good premiere episode for Season 2. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

0 comments: