12.13.2010

Quick notes on The Sing-Off, Episode 3

I'll try to write a proper post on my thoughts on tonight's episode. But for now, I have to say, I got nervous for my favourite group, Committed. The groups each had to do 2 songs, one is supposed to be a rock hit and the other is a guilty pleasure.

Opening number: "21 Guns" from Green Day's American Idiot musical. Gave me chills! Now, I really want to see the musical even more!

Committed performed The Police's "Every Breath You Take" for the Rock Hits portion of the competition. Although, I do agree that they didn't "rock it out" so-to-speak, I do believe they still did a beautiful job with it. The chord progressions they did going right into the bridge was too crazy, my cousin and I jumped out of our seats because it was just too awesome. Like I've said before, I'm such a fan of crazy intricate harmonies, what Committed did (and have been doing so far) is definitely musical ear-candy.

As much as I love and respect Jerry Lawson. I think his and Talk of the Town's time on the show has definitely taken its course. The judges often talk about the groups needing to get out of their comfort zone, do something outside of what they normally do. And sadly, Jerry and TotT haven't really done that. I do feel that either they or The Backbeats should have left. Even though The Backbeats had a brilliant moment with the B-52s "Love Shack", I'm just a bit over the whole ICCA competition vibe from them. And I'm really not diggin' the girl vocal percussionist. Never was a fan of women VPs. Have never seen nor heard of any that could actually go toe-to-toe with guy VPs, and there are only a few male VPs that I really enjoy listening to.

Anyway, I'm just glad Committed recovered somewhat with their 2nd performance, Guilty Pleasure songs. They did "I Want it That Way" by The Backstreet Boys. They did good, not great, but good. Shawn was right when he said that it was good that they kept the arrangement simple, and didn't do their signature crazy harmonies. I'm glad they stayed on.

Very, VERY disappointed that Groove for Thought was kicked off. They were my 2nd fave! Really fantastic vocal jazz stuff from them. I don't understand what the judges were thinking tonight. I just don't. Shame.

I just have to say, regardless of the fact that Shawn Stockman is a judge on this show, he's not the reason why I do watch. If you are a musician, you'll understand why I enjoy this show so much. The things these groups do on this show is no joke. You just don't go
up there and sing. Arranging songs for a cappella singing and coming up with interesting "instrumentations" and harmonies is no easy task. Ahhh... I love music.

Oh! I guess I pretty much said what I wanted to say about tonight's episode. haha!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


0 comments: