1.29.2009

My NKOTB Rendezvous.

Since I wrote about my night with Boyz II Men, naturally, I have to write about my rendezvous with New Kids on the Block. Just as I was a huge fan of Boyz II Men back in the "way back machine" (Sherry, I'm lovin' that term!), I was also a huge fan of the New Kids on the Block (or "The Block" as they'd like to be called these day). I was the typical teeny-bopper fan in the sense that I had the tapes, and the pull-out posters from the teen mags such as Bop!, Big-Bopper, 16, etc... I actually just found a picture of myself, circa 1991, holding up one of those pull-out posters of NKOTB and posing for the camera! LOL

New Kids on the Block Reunion Concert - Nokia Theatre L.A. Live!, Los Angeles, CA (November 26th, 2008)

Thanks to my friend (and fellow Rockapella fan), Sherry, April and I got tickets to see New Kids on the Block for their reunion tour. She purchased the tickets around August, so we had a two-month wait.

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008: The concert that I'd been waiting for finally came and went... And it went by too fast! It was blur! Blink and you would've missed it. At least, it felt that way to me. There were so many things going on, I barely had time to soak it in. Next thing I knew, it was all over.

Pictures and videos, of course, were top priority that night. My arms were cramping from holding up my camera to take pictures and videos throughout the entire concert. I made it a point to take a video of "If You Go Away" in its entirety, as it is my favourite NKOTB song. I sang along with Jordan Knight in the chorus, and tried to harmonize at certain parts (I'm such a nut! LOL). What made it more special for me that night was that I could totally hear Jonathan Knight (my fave NK) singing the melody an octave lower during the chorus. The classics were a blast, "The Right Stuff", "Valentine Girl", "I'll Be Loving You Forever", "Please Don't Go Girl", "Hangin' Tough" and "Step by Step"! Hearing the crowd sing (more like screaming) every word at the top of their lungs was quite an experience.

Then the section where Donnie Wahlberg, Jordan and Joe McIntyre did their solo spots came and I almost died when I saw Jordan sing "Baby, I Believe in You". I mean, who didn't, really? LOL And I danced along to "Give it to You". My jaw dropped to the floor when Donnie picked up a guitar and started to play the opening riff to "Cover Girl". I wish he'd done it longer though. I love it when people get to show off their other musical talents, besides singing, of course. Donnie, I was ALMOST impressed. LOL If only he'd played longer.

I must say, Jonathan was a rare bird. I had a hard time capturing a picture of him because he's rarely in the forefront. The few times he was shown on the big screen, I was too slow to take a picture, because it was so unexpected! He did have his moment in the spotlight when Joe mentioned to the crowd that it was his birthday and asked the crowd to sing "Happy Birthday" to him. If it weren't for that moment, I wouldn't have had an up-close picture of Jon (thanks, Joe!).

I was deaf by the end of the night what with all the high-pitched screaming around me, but it was completely worth it! If only it hadn't gone by so fast! They just added a show in L.A. for their Spring tour this year. I may just go one more time. ;)

After they'd sung the final song and the house-lights came on, April and I looked at each other with a hint of sadness in our eyes, and we both said, 'it's over." I was so glad that I got to share that night with her, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

0 comments: